Kainchi Dham, also known as Neem Karoli Baba Ashram, is a temple and ashram dedicated to Lord Hanuman. It is nestled among hills, trees, and a small river. Renowned saint Neem Karoli Baba established this sacred place in the 1960s.
Kainchi Dham is located in Uttarakhand’s Nainital district.. The temple is situated at an altitude of approximately 1,400 meters (4,600 feet) above sea level. The nearest town to Kainchi Dham is Bhowali, 9 km away. Other nearby towns include Nainital, Almora, and Ranikhet.
Visitors can feel Hanuman Ji’s overwhelming presence as they enter the ashram. Hanuman Ji represents strength, courage, and devotion. Neem Karoli Baba’s teachings on love, service, and devotion continue to inspire and guide people on their spiritual journeys.
Kainchi Dham’s natural beauty enhances its spiritual energy. The rustling of leaves, the cool breeze, and the sound of the river create a divine ambience. The Dham is a haven for those seeking to connect with the divine and experience Hanuman Ji’s blissful grace.
The Dham has earned recognition as a sacred destination. Devotees can bask in Hanuman Ji’s presence and experience a deep sense of peace and spiritual awakening.
Kainchi Dham Overview
|Location||Near Bhowali (Nainital District)|
|Exploration Time||2-3 Hours|
|Famous For||Spiritual Place, Tourism|
|Timings||6:30 AM – 6:30 PM|
|Best Time To Visit||11 Sept (Neem Karoli Babaji left his mortal body on this day) and 15 June (Kainchi Mela)|
|Summer Temperature||Max 25°C & Min 6°C|
|Winter Temperature||Max 10°C & Min 0°C|
|Nearest Major City||Haldwani cum Kathgodam (37 km)|
|Nearest Airport||Pantnagar Airport (71.3 km)|
Popular Devotees of Neem Karoli Baba
Neem Karoli Baba had many followers, including some well-known names. Some of his popular devotees are:
- Ram Dass, a spiritual teacher and author who met Neem Karoli Baba in the 1960s and spread his teachings through books.
- Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, who was deeply influenced by Neem Karoli Baba’s teachings on spirituality and simplicity. He visited the ashram in the 1970s.
- Jai Uttal, a Grammy-nominated musician, who is known for his devotional music inspired by the teachings of Neem Karoli Baba.
- Krishna Das, a well-known kirtan singer and musician, who is also a disciple of Neem Karoli Baba and his music has touched the hearts of many.
Even Hollywood star Julia Roberts has spoken about her connection with Neem Karoli Baba. She has visited the Kainchi Dham ashram and credits her spiritual journey to the teachings of the saint.
Mark Zuckerberg, the co-founder and CEO of Facebook, is also a follower of Neem Karoli Baba. He has spoken about the impact of the saint’s teachings on his life and travels to India to visit the Kainchi Dham ashram. Zuckerberg has even named his daughter “Maxima” in honor of the saint’s teachings on “maximum love, service, and contribution to the world.”
Where to Stay at Kainchi Dham
Kainchi Dham or Neem Karoli Baba Ashram has a number of accommodation options for visitors, including the ashram’s own guesthouses and nearby hotels. Here are some options for staying at the Dham:
- Ashram Guesthouses: The ashram has several guesthouses with basic facilities such as clean rooms, shared bathrooms, and simple vegetarian meals. The guesthouses are run by the ashram and are a suitable option for those who want to stay close to the temple and ashram.
- Kainchi Cottage: Kainchi Cottage is a homestay located near the ashram, offering comfortable rooms with attached bathrooms and scenic views of the hills. The cottage is run by a local family and offers home-cooked meals.
- Ananda Meditation Retreat: Ananda Meditation Retreat is a spiritual retreat center located about 5 km from Kainchi Dham. It offers simple yet comfortable accommodation in cottages and tents, along with yoga and meditation classes and vegetarian meals.
- Hotels: There are several hotels located in nearby towns such as Bhowali and Nainital, which offer a range of accommodation options from budget to luxury. Some popular options include Hotel Arif Castles, The Naini Retreat, and The Himalayan View Retreat.
Why Visit Neem Karoli Baba Ashram
Here are some reasons to visit Kainchi Dham:
- Experience spiritual energy: Kainchi Dham is a holy place blessed by the Hindu deity Hanuman and the saint Neem Karoli Baba. Visitors can experience powerful spiritual energy that transforms.
- Explore the picturesque location: Kainchi Dham is located in Uttarakhand’s scenic hills, surrounded by lush green forests, rivers, and mountains. The natural beauty of the place is worth exploring and offers a refreshing break from city life.
- Participate in daily prayers and rituals: The temple at Kainchi Dham holds daily prayers and rituals that visitors can participate in. These include offerings of flowers and sweets to the deities, singing devotional songs, and meditating in the serene atmosphere.
- Learn from the teachings of Neem Karoli Baba: Neem Karoli Baba’s teachings on love, service, and devotion have inspired many people around the world. These include celebrities such as Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, and Julia Roberts. Visiting Kainchi Dham offers an opportunity to learn from his teachings and understand the importance of spirituality in daily life.
- Connect with like-minded people: Kainchi Dham attracts visitors from all over the world who share a common interest in spirituality and personal growth. Visiting the ashram and temple is an excellent way to connect with like-minded people and form meaningful friendships.
Places to eat nearby Neem Karoli Baba Ashram or Kainchi Dham
- Anupam Restaurant: It is a popular vegetarian restaurant located just outside the ashram on the main road. It offers a variety of vegetarian dishes, including North Indian, South Indian, and Chinese cuisine. The restaurant has a spacious seating area and a comfortable ambience. It is popular among locals and tourists for its delicious food and reasonable prices. Some of the popular dishes at Anupam Restaurant include Dosa, Uttapam, Chana Masala, Aloo Gobhi, Paneer Tikka, Momos and many more.
- Machan: Located in Bhowali, 9 km from the ashram, Machan is a vegetarian restaurant that offers North Indian and Chinese cuisine. The restaurant has a cozy ambiance and is popular among locals and tourists.
- Dolma Restaurant: Situated in Bhowali, Dolma Restaurant is another popular vegetarian restaurant that offers Indian and Tibetan dishes. The restaurant has a beautiful view of the mountains and is known for its momos and thukpa.
- Madhuvan Restaurant: Located in Nainital, 20 km from Kainchi Dham, Madhuvan Restaurant is a vegetarian restaurant offering North Indian cuisine. The restaurant has a warm ambiance. You can try their delicious thalis and chole bhature.
- Shiva Restaurant: It is also situated in Bhowali. Shiva Restaurant is a vegetarian restaurant offering North Indian and Chinese cuisine. The restaurant has a simple decor but is popular for its tasty food and affordable prices.
- Machan Regency: Located in Bhowali, Machan Regency is a vegetarian restaurant that offers North Indian and Chinese cuisine. The restaurant has a spacious seating area. It has tasty food and excellent service.
Kainchi Dham Mela 2023
The Kainchi Dham Mela is an annual event at the renowned Kainchi Dham temple in Uttarakhand, India. This significant religious gathering draws devotees from different corners of the country and abroad. The Mela is held on the 15th of June each year. It holds significant spiritual significance for followers of Neem Karoli Baba, a revered saint believed to be an incarnation of Lord Hanuman.
During the Kainchi Dham Mela, the temple premises are adorned with colorful decorations, creating an enchanting atmosphere. The air resonates with hymns and devotional songs. Devotees gather to pray, seek blessings, and engage in religious rituals. The ambience is filled with devotion and spirituality.
The Mela provides an opportunity for devotees to connect with their faith and immerse themselves in Neem Karoli Baba’s teachings and blessings. It is believed that during this time, the saint’s spiritual energy and grace are particularly strong. This makes it an auspicious occasion for seeking divine guidance and experiencing inner peace.
The Kainchi Dham Mela attracts a large number of visitors, both devotees and curious travelers, so it is advisable to plan your visit in advance. Arranging travel accommodations and transportation ahead of time ensures a smoother experience, as the Mela can get crowded during this time.
Attending the Kainchi Dham Mela offers a profound spiritual experience and a glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of the region. It is a time of deep devotion, collective prayers, and celebration of faith. Whether you are a follower of Neem Karoli Baba or simply interested in exploring India’s spiritual traditions, the Kainchi Dham Mela promises a memorable and uplifting experience for all who participate.
|Kainchi Dham Mela 2023 Date||15 June 2023|
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Kainchi Dham is March to June and September to November. During these months, the weather is pleasant with moderate temperatures. This makes it ideal for exploring the natural beauty of the place and participating in the daily rituals and prayers at the temple. For true devotees, the most ideal time to visit Kainchi Dham is 11 September, the day Neem Karoli Babaji left his mortal body.
The summer months of March to June are also a good time to visit as the weather is mild and suitable for outdoor activities such as trekking, hiking, and camping. The monsoon season (July to August) should be avoided as the area receives heavy rainfall, which can make travel difficult.
The winter months of December to February can also be a good time to visit Kainchi Dham for those who enjoy cold weather and snow. However, temperatures can drop to sub-zero levels during this time, so visitors should be prepared with warm clothing and suitable footwear.
Kainchi Dham receives snowfall during the winter months of December to February. However, the amount of snowfall can vary each year, depending on the weather conditions. It is important to check the weather forecast before planning a trip during the winter months.
Keep your safety your first priority. While snowfall can add to the beauty of Kainchi Dham, it can also make travel difficult and limit outdoor activities. Visitors should be prepared with warm clothing and suitable footwear if planning a trip during the winter months, especially if there is a possibility of snowfall.
Teachings of Neem Karoli Baba
Neem Karoli Baba, also known as Maharaj-ji, is known for his simple yet profound teachings that inspire people around the world. Here are some of Neem Karoli Baba’s key teachings:
- Love and Serve Others: Neem Karoli Baba taught that love and service to others is the highest form of spiritual practice. He encouraged his followers to see God in all beings and serve others without expecting anything.
- Faith and Surrender: Neem Karoli Baba emphasized the importance of faith in a higher power and surrendering one’s ego. He taught us that surrendering to God is the key to inner peace and happiness.
- Simplicity and Humility: Neem Karoli Baba lived a simple life and taught his followers to live with humility and simplicity. He emphasized that material possessions and external accomplishments are not of importance, and that true happiness comes from within.
- Practice Devotion: Neem Karoli Baba was a devotee of Lord Hanuman, and he encouraged his followers to practice devotion to God in their daily lives. He taught us that chanting God’s name, praying, and performing acts of service are all ways to cultivate devotion.
- See the Good in Others: Neem Karoli Baba taught his followers to see the good in others and avoid judgment and criticism. He emphasized that everyone has their own unique path and that it is not our place to judge others.
- Live in the Present Moment: Neem Karoli Baba taught the importance of living in the present moment and letting go of worrying about the past or future. He encouraged his followers to be fully present in each moment and experience life with awareness and gratitude.
Architecture of Kainchi Dham
Kainchi Dham’s architecture is simple yet elegant. The temple complex is divided into two parts- the old ashram and the renovated temple. The old ashram is where Neem Karoli Baba lived, and it is still preserved in its original form. The newly constructed temple was constructed in the early 2000s and is a beautiful example of modern architecture. The temple complex is surrounded by picturesque gardens and has a peaceful atmosphere that attracts visitors from all over the world.
How to Reach Kainchi Dham
Kainchi Dham is located in Uttarakhand’s Nainital district. Here’s how to reach Kainchi Dham via bus, train, and air:
- By Bus: The nearest bus station to Kainchi Dham is Haldwani, 37 km away. You can take a bus from Delhi or other major cities in Uttarakhand to Haldwani, and then take a taxi or a local bus.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Kathgodam, 27 km away. You can take a train from Delhi or other major cities to Kathgodam, and then take a taxi or a local bus.
- By Air: The nearest airport is Pantnagar Airport, 72 km away from Kainchi Dham. You can take a flight from Delhi or other major cities to Pantnagar, and then take a taxi or a local bus.
Distance from popular cities:
|City||Distance from Kainchi Dham|
What is Kainchi Dham?
Kainchi Dham is a famous place of worship in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand, India. It is also called Neem Karoli Baba Ashram.
Who started Kainchi Dham?
Kainchi Dham was started by a well-known Hindu saint named Neem Karoli Baba, also called Neeb Karori Baba or Maharajji.
What was Neem Karoli Baba famous for?
Neem Karoli Baba was well-known for his teachings about love, devotion, and serving humanity. Many people followed him, including famous Westerners like Steve Jobs, Ram Dass, and Mark Zuckerberg.
When was Kainchi Dham established?
Kainchi Dham was established between 1962 and 1964.
What is the meaning of Kainchi Dham?
The name Kainchi Dham means “scissors place” in Hindi. It comes from a local story about a pair of scissors Neem Karoli Baba used to cut through obstacles and negative energy.
What can visitors do at Kainchi Dham?
Visitors can attend prayer and meditation sessions, participate in spiritual gatherings called satsangs, and help with the ashram’s service projects, such as running a hospital or school.
Is Kainchi Dham open all year round?
Yes, It is open all year round, but it may have reduced hours or be closed on certain holidays or events.
What is the nearest city to Kainchi Dham?
The nearest city to Kainchi Dham is Nainital, about 17 kilometers away.
How can visitors get to Kainchi Dham?
Visitors can take a taxi or bus from Nainital. The ashram is off the main road, so visitors must walk a short distance from the main road to reach it.
Do visitors have to pay to visit Kainchi Dham?
No, visitors do not have to pay to visit here, but they can donate to support the ashram’s service projects and maintenance.
How to stay inside Kainchi Dham?
To stay at the Kainchi Dham ashram, you need to speak with the manager and request permission. Remember, the ashram has a maximum stay limit of three days for visitors.