Uttarakhand is divided into two administrative divisions Garhwal division & Kumaon division and comprises of 13 districts (7 districts in Garhwal region and 6 districts in Kumaon region). Uttarakhand, celebrated as a tourism capital has various winsome places that are waiting to be explored.
This exquisite hill state has beautifully concealed several idyllic places that are still under the wraps. Many solitude seekers especially those in awe of the magnetic hills are drawn towards the pull of the mighty Himalayas. Since Uttarakhand has been an abode of the gods, mystics and great sages it has become a highly revered place to reach for the divine.
One can either submerge them-self in the holy spirit or explore the vivacious terrains that offer innumerable adventures or can bathe in the tempting beauty of the towering peaks. This serene hill state will charm you with its hypnotic Himalayan beauty. If you are a wanderer searching for peace and tranquility or someone who is chasing wanderlust then you must surely visit Uttarakhand.
Districts of Uttarakhand Overview
|No. of Districts in Uttarakhand||13|
|No. of Divisions in Uttarakhand||2 (Kumaon and Garhwal)|
|No. of Districts in Kumaon Division||6|
|No. of Districts in Garhwal Division||7|
Places to visit in Uttarakhand (Districts of Uttarakhand)
Since our beautiful hill state has been blessed with many explored as well as unexplored places to visit in Uttarakhand. It has been a nerve of several tourist activities in India. Hence, making it one of the best destinations to visit in India. If you are planning a trip here then you must check out some of the popular places to visit in Uttarakhand that has been systematically categorized for you to have a thorough reading.
Have an insight of these beautiful locations so you can compile a list of the places that you shouldn’t miss on your trip to Uttarakhand. So before jumping into conclusions quickly check out the district wise places in Uttarakhand and check mark the ones that you should definitely visit during your stay in Uttarakhand.
Check out districts of Uttarakhand mentioned below
Here’s a brief description of each district in Uttarakhand. You can click on the district name to know more about that district:
- Dehradun: Dehradun is the capital city of Uttarakhand and is known for its pleasant climate, scenic beauty, and educational institutions. It is surrounded by the Himalayan ranges and offers a perfect blend of nature, history, and modern development.
- Haridwar: Haridwar is a major pilgrimage destination for Hindus. It is located on the banks of the holy river Ganges and is considered one of the seven holiest places in Hinduism. The city is known for its religious significance, festivals, and the famous Kumbh Mela.
- Nainital: Nainital is a popular hill station and a picturesque lake town in Uttarakhand. It is known for its beautiful Naini Lake, surrounded by lush green mountains. The town offers breathtaking views, pleasant weather, and various outdoor activities, making it a favorite tourist destination.
- Almora: Almora is a charming hill town known for its rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. It is located in the Kumaon region and offers panoramic views of the Himalayas. Almora is famous for its ancient temples, wildlife sanctuaries, and traditional handicrafts.
- Pauri Garhwal: Pauri Garhwal is a district known for its scenic landscapes, lush forests, and majestic mountains. It is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. The district offers trekking trails, wildlife sanctuaries, and a peaceful environment.
- Chamoli: Chamoli is a district blessed with stunning natural beauty and religious significance. It is home to several pilgrimage sites, including Badrinath and Hemkund Sahib. Chamoli is also known for its scenic valleys, snow-capped peaks, and trekking routes.
- Uttarkashi: Uttarkashi is a district situated on the banks of the holy river Bhagirathi. It is a gateway to many important religious sites and trekking destinations. Uttarkashi is known for its spiritual ambiance, ancient temples, and serene natural surroundings.
- Pithoragarh: Pithoragarh is a picturesque district located in the eastern part of Uttarakhand. It is known for its breathtaking views of the Himalayas, high-altitude lakes, and scenic beauty. The district is also famous for its historical forts and cultural heritage.
- Rudraprayag: Rudraprayag is a district where the holy rivers Alaknanda and Mandakini meet. It is considered a sacred place for Hindus. Rudraprayag offers a serene environment, beautiful landscapes, and the opportunity to explore nearby religious sites.
- Tehri Garhwal: Tehri Garhwal is known for the Tehri Dam, one of the highest dams in the world. The district offers stunning views of the Tehri Lake and surrounding hills. It is a hub for adventure activities like water sports, trekking, and camping.
- Bageshwar: Bageshwar is a district known for its religious and natural significance. It is home to several ancient temples, including the Bagnath Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The district is surrounded by scenic beauty, offering opportunities for trekking, camping, and exploring the wilderness.
- Champawat: Champawat is a district located in the eastern part of Uttarakhand. It is known for its historical importance and natural beauty. The district is home to ancient temples, forts, and picturesque landscapes. Champawat offers a serene environment and is a gateway to the Himalayan ranges.
- Udham Singh Nagar: Udham Singh Nagar is an industrial district in Uttarakhand. It is known for its agricultural and industrial development. The district has several small and medium-scale industries and is a major contributor to the state’s economy. Udham Singh Nagar also offers natural beauty and historical sites to explore.