Auli is nestled amidst the heavenly snow-covered Himalayan range of Garhwal of state Uttarakhand. It is a must see place and one of the most important ski destinations in India. It lies in Chamoli district amidst the Garhwal Himalayan mountains in the state of Uttarakhand, India. The snow-clad mountains of Auli offer great slopes that make skiing so fun and adventurous to beginners as well as experts. The area is full of evergreen conifers and oak forest.
The oak and deodar trees alongside the beautiful ski slopes provide the best atmosphere to skiing lovers. Apart from being home to many naturally beautiful sights and attractions, Auli is home to many adventures and fun activities.
With its captivating natural beauty and thrilling adventures, Auli promises an unforgettable experience. So, pack your bags, embrace the winter magic, and create memories that will last a lifetime in this enchanting Himalayan destination.
|Famous For||Skiing, Scenic, Camping|
|Ideal time to visit||Nov – Mar|
|Summer Temperature||15°C to 30°C|
|Winter Temperature||-4°C to 24°C|
Activities to do in Auli
Welcome to the winter wonderland of Auli, where adventure awaits at every turn. Nestled in the breathtaking Himalayan mountains of Uttarakhand, Auli offers a plethora of activities that will leave you spellbound. Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie seeking thrilling adventures or a nature lover in search of serene landscapes, this place has something for everyone. Let’s dive into the exciting activities you can experience in this picturesque destination:
- Skiing: Auli is renowned as one of the best skiing destinations in India. With its powdery snow-covered slopes and well-groomed trails, it attracts both amateurs and seasoned skiers. Grab your skis, hit the slopes, and feel the rush as you glide down the mountainside surrounded by breathtaking panoramic views.
- Cable Car Ride: Hop aboard the famous Auli Ropeway, one of the longest cable car rides in Asia. As you ascend, marvel at the mesmerizing vistas of snow-clad peaks, dense forests, and the serene Nanda Devi Sanctuary. It’s a thrilling and scenic experience that shouldn’t be missed.
- Trekking: Lace up your boots and embark on a trekking adventure in the scenic trails of Auli. The region offers various treks catering to different difficulty levels, such as the Kuari Pass Trek, Gorson Bugyal Trek, and Nanda Devi Trek. Explore the lush green meadows, pristine lakes, and charming villages as you immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the Himalayas.
- Camping: Spend a night under the starry sky and indulge in camping amidst the pristine beauty of Auli. Set up your tent in the serene surroundings, breathe in the fresh mountain air, and wake up to stunning sunrise views. It’s a perfect way to connect with nature and experience tranquility.
- Photography: Auli is a photographer’s paradise, offering a plethora of breathtaking vistas to capture. From snow-capped peaks to vibrant sunsets, the landscape provides countless opportunities for stunning photography. So, don’t forget to bring your camera and capture the beauty of Auli through your lens.
- Visit Chenab Lake: Take a short drive from Auli and discover the mesmerizing Chenab Lake. Surrounded by lush greenery and snow-covered mountains, this tranquil lake offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Enjoy a picnic by the lakeside or simply soak in the peaceful ambiance.
- Enjoy Local Cuisine: Don’t miss the chance to savor the delicious local cuisine of Auli. Treat your taste buds to piping hot local delicacies like Garhwali dishes, momos, and hot beverages like tea and coffee. Indulge in the flavors of the region and experience the warmth of the local culture through its food.
The hills station provides tourists with massive opportunities to explore adventurous and fun activities in the lap of mother nature. The best activity for which Auli is so popular is skiing but there are various recreational activities too that will keep you amazed throughout your tour. Trekking expeditions here give visitors a gift of experiences and memories for their entire life. Nearby places to visit are Valley of Flowers, Nanda Devi Sanctuary and Gurso Bugyal. These destinations are already great sources of interest among tourists.
Located in midst of a part in the cradle of snow-capped Himalayan range and at 2800 meters above sea levels, Auli is home to mountain ranges of Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat and Kamat Kamet. It is also an important pilgrimage destination for the Hindus. Many religious destinations are also located near Auli.
It has a blessed past that dates back to the 8th century. People believe that Shankaracharya had visited this place several times. Auli is on the way to Badrinath. So during winters, it witnesses heavy snowfall. So the temple of Badrinath is closed for 5 to 6 months.
Auli Skiing Charges
|For Adults Ski Charges:||400 Rupees per Person|
|For Children Ski Charges:||300 Rupees per Person|
|Gloves:||200 Rupees per item per day|
|Goggles:||100 Rupees per item per day|
|Snowboard:||700 Rupees per item per day|
|Ski Lessons:||200 Rupees per item per day|
Auli is known for its great ski slopes in India. Ski-lovers come here mostly during the ski competitions in winters. But it has so many other beautiful things to offer, which are:
1. Artificial Lake
This beautiful artificial lake was created to produce synthetic artificial snow for the skiing activities in the summers. This lake is the world’s highest man-made lake.
Auli along with Dehradun hosted the first South Asian Winter Games in 2011. The Ice hockey and ice skating events were held in Dehradun and the snowboarding and skiing events were conducted here.
Joshimath is famous among tourists for its mountain climbing and trekking expeditions. It is connected to Auli with a ropeway. This ropeway is known as the longest ropeway of Asia that offers a beautiful view of mountains and snow. Joshimath was established as one of the fundamental institutions by Adi Guru Shankaracharya. It is the place of great religious importance for the tourists.
Trishul peak is one of the few destinations in India where skiing is professionally practiced. It offers a great panoramic view from the top. At the foot of this hill is the famous Roopkund Lake.
Skeletons of horses and humans were found in this lake, which is why it is known as ‘Mystery Lake’. The Nanda Devi National Park is close to the peak, which is great place to visit for nature lovers.
4. Vanshinarayan Kalpeshwar
Near Joshimath, Vanshinarayan Kalpeshwar is a beautiful valley and home to a cave known as Kalpeshwar. 10 kilometers further from the Kalpeshwar cave is a place, Vanshinarayan, which is well-known for its natural beauty.
Route to Auli From Delhi
Climate And Best Time To Visit Auli
Generally, the best time to visit this place is any season of the year except monsoons. But attraction in this place is Snow Skiing, which is at its best during November to March.
- Months from December to February are snow covered and chilly. Auli receives a good amount of snowfall during these months. This period is best for snow skiing.
- March and April are pleasant and perfect for outing and sight seeing. The sky remains clear, which makes this time perfect for a family getaway.
- Months from May to November are cool and pleasant and the right period to spend peaceful and relaxing moments with family and friends.
|Month||Minimum (°C)||Maximum (°C)|
|January||6 °C||16 °C|
|February||9 °C||21 °C|
|March||11 °C||23 °C|
|April||17 °C||28 °C|
|May||19 °C||29 °C|
|June||21 °C||29 °C|
|July||22 °C||27 °C|
|August||22 °C||27 °C|
|September||21 °C||27 °C|
|October||17 °C||25 °C|
|November||11 °C||22 °C|
|December||8 °C||20 °C|
Snowfall in Auli
Auli receives significant amount of snowfall during winters. It witnesses first snowfall of the season in mid December. This makes months of December and January as perfect time to visit Auli if you are planning for skiing.
Note: The intensity and frequency of snowfall can vary from year to year, so we advise you to check the weather conditions and forecasts before planning a trip to Auli during the winter season.
We have handpicked some good restaurants for you in Auli that offer a delightful culinary experience amidst the majestic Himalayan landscape:
- The Cliff Top Club Restaurant: Located at the Cliff Top Club Resort, this restaurant offers a wide range of cuisines including Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes. Enjoy your meal while admiring panoramic views of the snow-covered mountains.
- Auli D’s Food Plaza: Known for its warm hospitality and delicious food, Auli D’s Food Plaza serves a variety of dishes including North Indian, Chinese, and Tibetan cuisine. Don’t miss their momos and local Garhwali specialties.
- Mount View Restaurant: Situated near the GMVN Ski Resort, Mount View Restaurant offers a cozy ambiance and stunning views. Indulge in Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes along with hot beverages like tea and coffee.
- Auli Resort Restaurant: This restaurant at the Auli Resort serves a delectable range of Indian, Chinese, and Continental cuisines. Enjoy your meal in a comfortable setting with lovely mountain views.
- Clifftop Floating Restaurant: Located near the Auli ropeway, this unique floating restaurant offers a memorable dining experience. Feast on a variety of dishes while enjoying the picturesque surroundings.
- The Orchard Restaurant: Situated amidst lush apple orchards, The Orchard Restaurant offers a serene ambiance and delicious food. Enjoy a range of cuisines including Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes.
- Snowy Mountain Café: With its cozy interiors and stunning mountain views, Snowy Mountain Café is a popular spot for both locals and tourists. Relish a variety of dishes including Indian and Chinese cuisine.
- GMVN Ski Resort Restaurant: Located within the GMVN Ski Resort premises, this restaurant serves a range of dishes including Indian, Chinese, and Continental cuisine. Enjoy your meal while soaking in the beautiful surroundings.
- Royal Café: Offering a warm and inviting atmosphere, Royal Café is known for its delectable snacks, beverages, and light meals. It’s a great place to relax and grab a quick bite during your explorations.
- Auli Nature Cafe: Situated amidst the natural beauty of Auli, this cafe offers a peaceful retreat with a selection of snacks, beverages, and light meals. Unwind and enjoy the tranquility as you indulge in delicious treats.
These restaurants in Auli ensure a delightful dining experience where you can savor a variety of cuisines while enjoying the scenic beauty of the Himalayas.
Here’s a list of 10 accommodation options in Auli that offer a comfortable stay amidst the breathtaking Himalayan scenery:
- The Cliff Top Club: Situated at an altitude of 10,000 feet, this luxury resort offers well-appointed rooms with stunning views of the mountains. It features modern amenities, a multi-cuisine restaurant, and a range of recreational activities.
- GMVN Auli: Run by the Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN), this government-owned property offers comfortable rooms and cottages. It provides basic amenities, a restaurant serving delicious meals, and easy access to the skiing slopes.
- Auli Resort: Nestled amidst oak forests, this resort offers cozy rooms with picturesque views. It provides facilities like a restaurant, bonfire area, and outdoor activities such as trekking and skiing.
- The Royal Village: Located in Joshimath, just a short distance from Auli, The Royal Village offers comfortable accommodation with modern amenities. It features spacious rooms, a restaurant serving local and international cuisine, and a garden area.
- XRA Cottage: This charming cottage-style accommodation offers cozy rooms with beautiful views of the snow-capped peaks. It provides a peaceful atmosphere, a restaurant serving homemade meals, and friendly hospitality.
- Dream Mountain Resort: Situated in the serene environs of Auli, Dream Mountain Resort offers comfortable rooms with scenic views. It features a restaurant serving delicious food, a garden area, and a terrace for relaxation.
- Blue Poppy Resorts: Set amidst lush greenery, Blue Poppy Resorts offers well-appointed rooms with modern amenities. It provides a restaurant serving Indian and Chinese cuisine, a garden, and outdoor activities like trekking and camping.
- Nature Inn: This eco-friendly resort offers cozy rooms with panoramic mountain views. It provides a restaurant serving organic food, a terrace, and activities like bird watching and village walks.
- Mount View Annexy: Located near the Auli ropeway, Mount View Annexy offers comfortable rooms with essential amenities. It features a restaurant, a garden area, and easy access to nearby attractions.
- Himalayan Eco Lodge: Situated amidst apple orchards, this lodge offers comfortable rooms with scenic views. It provides a restaurant serving local and international dishes, a garden, and a cozy lounge area.
A Famous Legend
There is a small temple of Lord Hanuman’s in Auli. The temple is known for having a connection to Ramayana. According to Hindu mythology when Lakshman, younger brother of Lord Rama got injured while fighting Meghnath (son of Ravana) in Lanka (now Sri Lanka).
The medic, who was treating Lakshman suggested that the only thing that can save Lakshman is a herb named ‘Sanjivani Booti’ found on the Sanjivani mountain in the Himalayas. Lord Rama requested lord Hanuman to get the herb. Hanuman flew from Lanka all the way to the Himalayas. During this journey, he took some rest somewhere in this place.
How To Reach Auli
Reaching Auli is quite easy. You can reach here by following three modes of transportation:
The nearest airport to Auli is Jolly Grant, Dehradun, about 298 kilometers away. From the airport, there are many taxi and buses to Joshimath and Auli.
Haridwar, about 265 kilometers away, is the nearest railway station. Then one has to take a taxi or a bus. Near railway station, there is a taxi stand where you can book or find a shared taxi.
The city is well-connected by roads to other major cities of the country via NH 72. For example, regular deluxe and normal buses to the city are easily available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate, Delhi to Dehradun, Haridwar and Rishikesh. Auli is 281 km from Dehradun.
The Distance of Auli from Major Cities