Tehri Garhwal, One of the largest districts in Uttarakhand, has emerged as a popular tourist destination in the past few years. New Tehri stretches from the snow-capped Himalayan peaks of Thalay Sagar, Jonli and the Gangotri group all the way to the foothills near Rishikesh.
The mighty Bhagirathi river divides the district into two. While rivers like Bhilangna, Alaknanda, Ganga and Yamuna border it on the east and west. This charming district is divided into two regions namely New Tehri and Old Tehri both having ancient temples and pictorial surroundings.
Old Tehri “The Region lost in Time”
- Old Tehri nestled on the confluence of Bhagirathi and Bhilangana rivers is only 16 km away from New Tehri. It is about 84 km from Rishikesh.
- This transit point to Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath was chosen as the capital of Tehri Garhwal by Raja Sudarshan. It was after the expulsion of Gurkhas with the help of East India Company in 1815.
- The town was popular for its historical buildings and temples. But it was washed off by the water of Tehri Dam that flooded the entire region.
New Tehri “Asia’s most comprehensive and successful rehabilitation programme”
- New Tehri sits at an altitude of 1,676 metres, overlooking the mammoth Tehri Dam and lake. This newly built town has taken over as district headquarters of Tehri Garhwal from the Old Tehri town.
- It was constructed to rehabilitate the Old Tehri town which was engulfed in the waters of the Tehri Dam.
- This glittering township has now been developed as a tourist attraction and a popular hill station which attracts many tourists.
- New Tehri is an administrative seat of Tehri Garhwal district and is becoming a retreat for the wanderers and backpackers.
- The hospitality industry has spread its roots in Tehri as the artificial Tehri Lake has brought ample of opportunities for the tourism sector.
- One can see the Tehri Dam here which is the highest dam in the world. The dam harnesses water of the two mighty rivers namely Bhagirathi and Bhilangana.
Legend associated with Tehri Garhwal
Tehri Garhwal is one of the sacred hilly districts of Uttarakhand cradled on the southern slopes of the mid-Himalayas. The locals believe that before the universe was created, Lord Brahma meditated on this sacred land.
Muni-ki-Reti and Tapovan located in this district are the places where great sages indulged in serious penance. Since the region is untouched by modernity, the place is able to secure its culture.
|District Headquarters:||New Tehri|
|The Geographical area:||4,080 km2 (1,580 sq mi)|
|Coordinates:||30.3739° N, 78.4325° E|
|Total Population in 2011:||6,18,931|
|Best Season:||Throughout the season|
|Number of Tehsils:||07|
Topography of Tehri Garhwal
The Himalayan beauty Tehri Garhwal is one of the westernmost districts of Uttarakhand. It is tucked away in the outer ranges of the mid-Himalayas comprising low line peaks, rising continuously with the planes of northern India.
The district coordinates between 30.38°N latitude and 78.48°E longitude. It touches:
- Uttarkashi district in the north
- Rudraprayag from the east
- Pauri Garhwal from the south
- And Dehradun from the west.
Explore Tehri Garhwal district
One of the interesting places to explore in Uttarakhand, Tehri Garhwal is a bounty of nature’s quintessence. This charming district is divided into two regions namely New Tehri and Old Tehri both having ancient temples and pictorial surroundings.
Owing to the presence of the glittering Tehri Lake, this place has become a hot-spot for tourists. The region offers an array of adventure activities and sightseeing options.
Some of the nearby attractions to savour are Tehri Dam, Koti Colony and Pratap Nagar. One can also explore places of interest in the district such as:
- Buda Kedar
- Khatling Glacier
- Narendra Nagar
- Sem Mukhem
- New Tehri
- Surkanda Devi
- Kempty Fall
- And Nagtibba.
Places To Visit in Tehri Garhwal
Climate of New Tehri
The district experiences a salubrious weather throughout the year. Summers are pleasant in this district and the temperature does not rise above 20°C.
Winters are cold here with the minimum temperature recording at -10°C without creating any hurdle for travelling.
|Month||Avg. Minimum (°C)||Avg. Maximum (°C)|
|January||6 °C||19 °C|
|February||9 °C||24 °C|
|March||11 °C||28 °C|
|April||17 °C||36 °C|
|May||19 °C||36 °C|
|June||20 °C||37 °C|
|July||21 °C||32 °C|
|August||20 °C||31 °C|
|September||19 °C||32 °C|
|October||16 °C||30 °C|
|November||12 °C||27 °C|
|December||8 °C||22 °C|
History of Tehri Garhwal
In the initial years, Garhwal was ruled by the Shah Dynasty. Later it was taken over by the tyrannical Gorkhali ruler Prithvi Narayan Shah who made it difficult for the people to survive.
When British invaded India, they were invited to Garhwal to free it from the clutches of Nepali rule. The King of Garhwal gifted half of his land to British to express gratitude to British for setting their kingdom free.
Therefore, the government divided the entire Garhwal region into Tehri Garhwal and British Garhwal. After India’s independence, Tehri Garhwal and British Garhwal was merged as one and was given the name of Pauri Garhwal.
Adventure in New Tehri Garhwal
- The district offers a plethora of adventure activities which lures many adventure bugs to visit here.
- At Tehri, one can indulge in the land, water and aerial activities that draw huge attention here.
- People from India and overseas visit here to relish water sports such as:
- Banana boat ride
- Jet speedboat ride
- Hot dog ride
- Bandwagon ride
- Water Surfing
- And Paragliding.
- One can also enjoy Trekking, mountain biking and rock climbing here.
- Some of the best treks of Uttarakhand like Khatling glacier trek, Panwali Kantha trek and Nagtibba trek pass through this region.
- If the sky is your limit then you can try your aerial sports like paragliding, para jumping and hot air balloon.
Fairs and Festivals in Tehri Garhwal
People organize this fair at the temple premises of Chandrabadni. It is at a distance of about 10 km from Tehri Garhwal. The temple has a legend behind it which revolves around Gautam Rishi and his wife Ahilya and Lord Indra.
Surkanda Devi Fair:
Devotees organize this fair at the Surkanda Devi temple on the auspicious day of Dussehra. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Durga and can be spotted at a separation of 11 km from Kanatal.
Annually held in the month of October, the Kunjapuri Fair is celebrated with gaiety. Thousands of individuals gather here to take part in the festivity.
How to Reach Tehri Garhwal District
The district is well-connected by motorable roads with major destinations of Uttarakhand. Luxury and normal buses to Tehri are available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate in Delhi. Buses and taxis to this district are easily available from major destinations of Uttarakhand like Dehradun, Mussoorie, Rishikesh, Haridwar, Devprayag, Srinagar, Uttarkashi etc.
Haridwar railway station is the nearest railhead to this district. Trains are frequent to Haridwar. Buses to this district are easily available from Haridwar.
Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport is the closest air connectivity to this district. The airport is connected to Delhi with daily flights. Taxis to this district are easily available from the Jolly Grant airport.