A Bubbling Waterfall in Mussoorie
Kempty Falls is a gorgeous waterfall and one of the most visited tourist attractions in Mussoorie. This gurgling waterfall is at an altitude of 1,364 metres above sea level. Its proximity to Dehradun makes Kempty Fall one of the best places to visit on weekends.
This pristine waterfall is surrounded by verdant hills and misty clouds that kiss the milky gush of water, as it tumbles down. One can see a stream that runs throughout the year.
It starts from the southwest of the village of ‘Banglow ki Kandi’ and moves northwest, where it falls from 4,500 feet. It is here that the water splits into five other cascades and falls a further 40 feet.
Timings: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (open on all days)
Entry Fee: Free
Cable Car Ride: The cable car facility is currently unavailable.
Best Time to Visit: From March to June
People believe that the name Kempty stems from the colloquial name of “Camp Tea”.
History of Kempty Fall:
A British officer, John Mekinan developed Kempty Falls as a popular tourist destination in 1835. John established this place for the British Raj to hold tea parties.
Best Time to visit:
The best time to visit kempty fall is during the summer season (March to June). It is advised not to go during monsoon because of heavy flow of water.
Summer: Min. Temp 23°C & Max Temp 30°C
Winter: Min Temp 1°C & Max Temp 7°C
Things to do in and around Kempty Fall:
- Kempty Falls is a popular recreational spot in “The Queen of Hills” Mussoorie. It is pillowed in the midst of the ethereal hills.
- It is one of the favourite hangout places of locals and tourists. They come here to shrug the scorching heat of the summer season.
- Many young couples and families come here to cool off in the pools and for enjoying boating.
- Inflatable swim rings are available on rent for the tourists to lazily float on the shallow water.
- Follow the walkways and the bridge that will guide you towards the vantage point, from where you can savour the beauty of this waterfall.
- You can shop goodies and souvenirs from the tiny shops that are located en-route.
- Grab your hands on the:
- chunky jewellery,
- Local artifacts,
- And other cool stuff sold here.
Food at Kempty Falls:
- Have a gastronomical affair by relishing tasty treats at the restaurants around the Kempty Falls.
- These restaurants serve scrumptious vegetarian and non-vegetarian food.
Why you must visit Kempty Fall?
- This naturally abundant place is famous for picnicking and photography.
- One can capture some beautiful shots of this gurgling waterfall that bounces off rocks into a man-made waterhole.
- Seize the moment in your camera as the water splatters on your cheeks.
- Explore the coveted valley and visit the nearby Happy Valley, a Tibetan settlement amidst the hills.
- Don’t forget to visit the Buddhist temple and admire the Tibetan workshops located there. (Video of the fall)
How to reach Kempty Falls:
Kempty Fall also spelled as Campty Fall is located 15 km away from Mussoorie on Yamunotri road.
- This famous tourist spot in Mussoorie is near Doon Valley, around 45 km from Dehradun.
- A 30-minute drive from Mussoorie’s town center will make you reach here.
- One can easily reach here by taking the auto-rickshaw or taxi. Dehradun railway station at 48 km away is the nearest railhead.
- Jolly Grant airport at 74 km is the closest air connectivity from here.
- Avoid visiting kempty fall during monsoon season because of heavy flow of water.
- Reach mussoorie from kempty fall before sunset as it is difficult to drive at night.
- If you are going to take a dip in the fall, then carry extra set of clothes.
- Clothing: In Summers:- Shorts, slippers, Cotton clothes; In Winters :- Woollens.