“A Snowy Haven”
It sits at an altitude of 2,286 metres and is known for its lush environs consisting of Deodar, Rhododendron and Oak forests. Due to its proximity to Delhi, this hill station has become a popular weekend getaway for the tourists.
This quaint hill town is a famous winter destination and many people from faraway places come here to experience the snowfall. Since this hill station is near to other famous hill stations like Mussoorie, Kanatal, Chamba and Tehri, it has become a hotspot for the tourists.
- “The Hill Queen” Dhanaulti offers a panoramic view of the lofty Himalayas. This beauteous hill town is one of the best places for nature lovers and backpackers.
- You can relax here, sip a cup of coffee and can relish delicious food at the café-style eateries. Dhanaulti’s virgin beauty and solitary surroundings will captivate your attention.
- If you are a nature bug then you shouldn’t miss out the Eco Park, one is called “Amber”. And the other one “Dhara” at 200 metres apart. Both are equally aesthetic and guide services are also available here.
- For spiritual bliss head to Surkanda Devi Temple, Chandrabadni and Kunjapuri Mata Temple. These are popular as the three Shaktipeeths of the holy Devi Darshan Triangle. Some of the other interesting tourist places in Dhanaulti are:
- Aaloo Khet
- Himalayan Weavers
- Dashavatar Temple
- Deogarh Fort
- Matatila Dam
- And Chanderi.
District: Tehri Garhwal
Best Season: Summers (March to June)
Weather: Summer 24 to 35°C
Winter: 1 to 22°C
Altitude: 2,286 m
Famous for/as: Hill Station
Languages: Garhwali, Hindi
Best Time to Visit Dhanaulti:
The ideal time to visit Dhanaulti is from March to June. It is the time when you can have the most amazing and clear view of the beautiful places near Dhanaulti. One can enjoy the weather too. Since Dhanaulti is shrouded in snow during winters, therefore visit during summers as it makes it convenient to travel.
Things to do:
- The pictorial surroundings of Dhanaulti offer a gorgeous vista of Bandarpunch and Gangotri glaciers that can be seen from far away.
- Many mountain lovers come here to camp under the sheath of stars and to savour the raw beauty of Garhwal. One can campfire in the open at the Burma bridge which is a popular camping spot.
- It is also a retreat for the trek lovers as it offers an opportunity to walk on the placid trails.
- You can dink the crystal clear water running from the buoyant streams and savour the awe-inspiring sceneries.
- Indulge in several recreational activities like nature walks, sightseeing, photography and horse riding.
Shopping in Dhanaulti:
- Dhanaulti is one such place where you can buy Himalayan artifacts and handicraft items.
- Many tourists who visit here buy handmade shawls, scarves and throws. Craftsmen make these from natural dyes. Woollen garments, Eri silk and pashmina shawls are the most popular items they sell here.
- If you want to buy souvenirs for your loved-ones. Then you can head to Himalayan Weavers that offer high-quality and environment friendly handloom products.
If you are an adventure junkie then you’ll fall in love with this place. Several adventure zones in Dhanaulti offers adrenaline pumping adventure activities such as:
- Mountain climbing
- Zip line, skywalk
- Valley crossing etc.
All these activities are performed under expert’s guidance and safety gears are also provided.
Food and Restaurants:
One can savour sumptuous food at Dhanaulti as some of the best restaurants and eateries are in its heart. Here you can nosh quality food made from the homegrown produce.
The Apple Orchard Resort and Crown Plaza are the two restaurants that serve lip-smacking food here.
Apart from this, you can also relish street food at the roadside dhabas. To enjoy snacking visit the Maggi Points. If you want to taste the best apples in town then head to the Apple Orchard Resort which offers a wide variety of apples at best prices.
How to reach Dhanaulti:
Dhanaulti on Mussoorie-Chamba road is at a distance of:
- 24 km from Mussoorie
- 35 from Chamba
- And 293 km away from Delhi which is a roughly 8-9 hours drive. The hill-station is also popular as Dhanolty, Dhanaulty, Dhanaolti and Dhanaolty. (Video)
Dhanaulti is reachable by swift roads with major destinations of Uttarakhand. Buses to the nearest cities like Rishikesh, Tehri, Dehradun and Mussoorie are available from ISBT Kashmere Gate, Delhi. Taxis and buses to Dhanaulti are easily available from major destinations of Uttarakhand.
Rishikesh railway station at 83 km and Dehradun railway station at 60 km are the nearest railheads to Dhanaulti. These two railway stations are well reachable with major cities of India. Trains run frequently to Rishikesh and Dehradun. Dhanaulti is well connected by motorable roads with Dehradun and Rishikesh.
Jolly Grant airport at 83 km away is the nearest air connectivity to Dhanaulti. The airport is well connected to Delhi with daily flights. Taxis to Dhanaulti are available from the Jolly Grant airport.