Seated an altitude of 1,676 metres, Kunjapuri Devi Temple is a Hindu temple sitting atop a hillock near Rishikesh. It is one among the three Shakti Peethas in Tehri district, the other two being Surkanda Devi and Chandrabadni Devi Temple. The temple offers a spellbinding view of sunset and sunrise.
On a clear day, one can relish mesmerizing views of the Himalayan peaks such as,
- And Chaukhamba.
The other side of the temple provides a lustrous panorama of the nearby landmarks such as,
Every year, many devotees come here to seek the blessings of Mata Kunjapuri during the auspicious festival of Dussehra and Navratri.
According to the Hindu mythology, when Lord Shiva was carrying the charred body of Mata Sati to Kailash. Her burnt body parts fell from his hands and were scattered at different places. Devotees believe that Mata Sati’s torso fell at this place and a temple was built at the same site.
Religious Significance and Importance:
- Kunjapuri Devi Mandir is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas present in India. Shri Adi Shankaracharya founded the temple.
- It completes the triangle of three Shakti Peethas, which are in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
- The temple also serves as an important stopover point for the devotees undertaking the Char Dham Yatra.
Things to do in and around Kunjapuri Mata Temple:
- Since the temple is in a solitary place, one can indulge in several recreational activities here. You can go for
- Enjoy photography
- And bird watching.
- To savour the best sunrise, trek early morning to Kunjapuri Devi temple.
- Another major attraction near Kunjapuri Devi temple is Ananda in the Himalayas known as a luxury spa destination in Narendra Nagar.
- For excursions, you can plan short trips to Rishikesh, Rajaji National Park, and Dehradun.
Timings to visit Kunjapuri Temple: From 6 am to 8 pm
Primary Deity: Goddess Durga
Petrol Pump: Not available
ATM Facility: Not available
Food Joints: Few small shops near the temple
Preferred Vehicles: Motor bikes/private cars/shared jeeps or buses.
Accommodation Facility: Kunjapuri Guest House at Hindolakhal or you can stay at Rishikesh.
Trekking at Kunjapuri:
- The adventure lovers can enjoy trekking at Kunjapuri and the nearby areas by deboarding the bus/jeep at Hindolakhal village.
- You have to commence a short 3 km trek uphill to reach the Kunjapuri Devi temple.
- If you want to explore more then you can opt for a longer trek at Tapovan in Rishikesh. It goes up and downhill to reach the temple.
- The tour operators will organize the trek for you. You can tell your tour operators if you want to visit the temple via road or want to come down to Tapovan area via trekking route.
- You can easily visit the Neer Garh waterfall from here.
How to Reach Kunjapuri Devi Temple:
- Kunjapuri Mata temple is on Hindolakhal road, Adli in Uttarakhand.
- The temple sits atop Kunjapuri hill. And it is only 27 km away from Rishikesh in Tehri Garhwal district.
- All the buses going towards Gangotri passes through the Kunjapuri Hill. It is a roughly 30 minutes-drive from Rishikesh. To reach here, you have to climb a flight of 300 stairs.
- You need to hire a sharing jeep from Hindolakhal to reach the temple. It is 5 km away from Hindolakhal.
- Rishikesh railway station at 28 km away is the nearest railhead to the temple. Jolly Grant airport at 42 km is the closest air connectivity from here.