Chopta is a small scenic town in a valley of bugyals (meadows) and evergreen forests in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand state, India.
It serves as the base for trekking to Tungnath, third temple of Panch Kedar and world’s highest Shiva temple. This valley is a part of Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary.
Why Chopta is Popular Among Tourists:
Amazing valley and Bugyals (Meadows):
- Chopta is very popular among trekkers and tourists because of the amazing options it provides for exploring the natural beauty.
- The entire region would prove to be a heaven for you if you are looking for a good place to relax, without the hustle and bustle of a typical hill station.
- You can visit Chopta valley, Tungnath and Chandrashila peak and enjoy several peaks.
- Tungnath and Chandrashila trek starts from Chopta (4 km Trek). Tunganath is located on a mountain in an enchanting location where you will find the beauty, adventure, devotion and peace in the lap of mother nature.
- Tungnath has something to offer to everyone. Either you are hardcore Lord Shiva’s devotee or a nature lover or you love adventurous activities. Read More
Activities to do:
- Camping and trekking (From Chopta to Tungnath and Chandrashila peak)
- Snow trekking
- Rock craft
- Rock climbing and Rappelling
- Photography of rare himalayan species of monal bird and musk deer.
Best Time To Visit Chopta:
Summer (March - May)
Summers in this place is very pleasant with the temperature ranging between 10 and 35 degrees Celsius. If you want to visit this valley just to relax and sightseeing then it is the best time because there is no snowfall in this time.
Monsoon (June - September)
It is a good time to visit this place. Monsoons arrive in this place from June and make the weather livelier. The place become full of greenery with the onset of monsoon.
Winter (October - February)
Winters in this place is very chilly and freezing as the temperature tend to go below zero degrees during this time. It is best to avoid visiting the place in winters if you are not used to the cold temperatures.
How to Reach Chopta:
The nearest railhead to Chopta is Rishikesh, which is at a distance of 215 kms. From Rishikesh, buses to Srinagar and Rudraprayag are available.