Uttarkashi, situated on the banks of Bhagirathi river, is a town and a district in Uttarakhand state of India. Sitting at an altitude of 1158 m above sea level, Uttarkashi is home to many Hindu temples, Dharamshalas and Ashrams. The region of Uttarkashi is popular for its high-altitude lakes and hill climbing. The town has few mountaineering institutes. Nehru Institute of Mountaineering is also situated here.
Popular pilgrimage sites Gangotri and Yamunotri also fall under Uttarkashi district. The glaciers of Gangotri and Yamunotri lead to several major peaks for advanced mountaineering buffs. Apart from lakes and mountaineering, the other reasons to visit Uttarkashi are its high altitude bugyals (Meadows) and Harsil valley. The heavenly Dayara bugyal is a part of Uttarkashi district.
Uttarkashi District Overview:
|District Headquarters:||Uttarkashi, Uttarakhand|
|The Geographical Area:||8,016 km2|
|Coordinates:||30.7268° N, 78.4354° E|
|Total Population in 2011:||330,090|
|Languages:||Hindi, English, and Garhwali|
|Best Season to Visit:||Mar-Jun and Sep-Nov|
|Average Rainfall:||1693 mm|
|Annual Temperature:||30°C to 0°C|
|Summer Temperature:||30°C to 15°C|
|Winter Temperature:||24°C to 0°C|
Culture Of Uttarkashi:
Festivals and Fairs:
- Uttarkashi is home to social and cultural values and festivals of Garhwal. In the month of Magh, the grand Magh mela takes place, starting on the day of Makar Sankranti.
- People take part in the fair with great enthusiasm. Other Hindu festivals such as:
- And Janmashtami are celebrated with great joy.
Butter Festival or Anduri Utsav of Dayara Bugyal, Uttarkashi:
- The local dwellers of nearby villages of Uttarkashi organize ‘Butter festival’ every year to preserve their culture and promote the tourism.
- The festival is also well-known by the name of “Anduri Utsav”. Local dwellers celebrate it by dancing together to the beats of Pahari classical musical instruments called ‘Dhol-Damao’.
- The villagers and tourists especially visit this place during the occasion of Butter Holi.
- People celebrate it by smearing butter and chaach (butter milk) on each other’s faces while dancing to the beats of ‘Dhol-Damao’ in lush green surroundings.
- This historic festival is associated with many things. Mainly, in Monsoons, the villagers move to higher altitudes of Dayara bugyal to feed their cattle.
- And after monsoons end, when they return back home with their cattle, they show their gratitude and celebrate Butter Festival with great joy.
- Folk music and dances are integral part of Uttarkashi’s culture. Thadiya dance is performed during Basant Panchami to indicate the arrival of spring.
- Another folk dance, known as “Mela dance” is performed to describe the events and incidents of the Mahabharata during the time of Diwali.
NOTE: Fresh fruits, squash and juices are some of the best things to try after reaching here.
Best Time To Visit:
One can visit Uttarkashi at any time of the year. Summers in this district are pleasant and soothing. The bright blue sky and lush greenery will leave you with an everlasting experience. You might encounter snowfall during winters. If you are looking for a great quiet weekend, away from the crowd then Uttarkashi is the right place to consider.
March - June:
In summers, the temperature in Uttarkashi ranges from 15 to 30 degrees Celsius. These months are best time to visit Uttarkashi for sight-seeing, trekking and mountaineering as weather remains quite pleasant.
July - September:
Uttarkashi witnesses a moderate amount of rainfall during monsoons which makes it not so good time to visit Uttarkashi for sight seeing and trekking.
October to February:
These winter months are the best time if you want to witness snowfall. During the months of January and February the mountains are covered with a thick sheet of snow.
Snowfall in Uttarkashi:
- For people who want to witness snowfall in Uttarkashi, months of winters are the best time.
- From December to February, the mountains of Uttarkashi are covered with the thick sheet of snow.
- By the end of February the snow starts to disappear and weather becomes calm and pleasant.
- Harsil valley of Uttarkashi becomes more heavenly in these months. The temperature in Uttarkashi during Winters may range between 0 and 25 Degrees Celsius.
Places To Visit in Uttarkashi:
How To Reach Uttarkashi:
Uttarkashi is well connected to all cities of Uttarakhand and Delhi via motorable roads. Uttarkashi is at a distance of 421 km from Delhi.
Rishikesh and Dehradun Railway stations are the nearest from to Uttarkashi. Dehradun is 145 km and Rishikesh is 171 km away from Uttarkashi. From ISBT, Dehradun and Rishikesh bus station, buses and taxis to Uttarkashi are available.
Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport located 171 km from here. Buses and Cabs to Uttarkashi are available from the airport.