Omkarananda Ashram Himalayas
“Famous Ashram of Rishikesh”
Omkarananda Ashram peacefully takes its seat on the banks of Ganga river. It is one of the famous ashrams in Rishikesh. Which follows the teachings of the great mystic, sage, philosopher and writer, Sri Paramahansa Omkarananda Saraswati.
Swami Paramahansa did tremendous work for uplifting the underdeveloped regions of Garhwal Himalayas. For which, he was felicitated with Mother India Award, Bharat Nirman Award, and Hind Rattan Award.
History of Omkarananda Ashram Himalayas:
The Ashram is quite popular among practioners of Yoga and Meditation. Those seeking spirituality in the lap of Himalayas, often throng here to taste the bliss. The ashram was founded by the great Hindu mystic, H.D Paramahansa Omkarananda Saraswati in 1967.
“Absolute Peace and absolute Beauty are the two eyes of the Absolute, which is Being-Consciousness-Bliss.”- Paramhansa Omkarananda Saraswati
What to expect at Omkarananda Ashram:
The murmur of the Ganga river and the peaceful environs of Omkarananda Ashram, lure tourists from all over the globe to visit here.
Amongst other tourists, the ashram is quite famous for those, who are spiritual in nature and are yoga/meditation lovers. You can await your stay here as Omkarananda Ashram has two guest houses named as Omkarananda Gita Sadan and Omkarananda Ganga Sadan.
- All the 14 Omkarananda Ashram nestled in Uttarakhand are in the form of temples, where rituals like havan, puja, and abhisheka are religiously performed every day.
- The ashram holds lectures on Bhagavad Gita and daily Aarti is also performed.
- Iyengar Yoga is taught here, which was developed by B.K.S Iyenger.
- During the auspicious festivals such as Shivaratri, Deepawali, Krishna Janmashtmi and Navaratri, the ashram is visited by saints and priests, serving in the famous temples of India.
- The ashram has its own ghat, where daily Aarti is performed.
The aim of Omkarananda Ashram Himalayas:
- The Omkarananda Ashram at Rishikesh is one of the main branches of its international institution. The ashram works in different arenas such as,
- scientific and social fields.
- The activities conducted in the ashram are done through its registered trusts–
- Omkarananda Dharma Samsthan,
- Omkarananda Charitable Trust
- Omkaranda Educational Society
- Omkarananda Natya Kala Academy
The current chief of the ashram is Swami Vishveshwarananda Saraswati. He is also the president of the Swami Omkarananda Saraswati Charitable Trust, Swami Omkarananda Dharma Samsthan and Omkarananda Educational Society.
List of Schools and Institutions run by Ashram’s Trust:
- Omkarananda Basic, Junior High and High Schools- 53 schools sprinkled in different regions of Garhwal.
- Omkarananda Institute of Management & Technology, Rishikesh: State of the art institute that provides courses like MBA / MBA (Evening) / MBA (Integrated), BBA, M.Sc. (CS), B.Sc. (IT), BCA, MAMC, BJMC, M.Lib., B.Lib., B.Ed.
- Omkarananda Saraswati Nilayam, Muni-ki-Reti: An English medium institution that imparts educations to 2500 students.
- Omkarananda Preparatory School, Rishikesh.
- Omkarananda Saraswati Govt. Degree College in Deoprayag.
How to reach:
- Omkarananda Ashram Himalayas is located in Muni ki Reti on Saraswati road in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand.
- One can reach here by taking local transport.
- Bus and Shared auto-rickshaw, locally famous as Tuk-tuk are available up to the ashram.
- Rishikesh railway station at 5 km away is the nearest railhead to the ashram.
- Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport at 22 km is the closest air connectivity to the ashram.
Contact Information of Omkarananda Ashram Himalayas:
Omkarananda Shanta Durga Mandir,
+91-135-2430713 / 2430911
Omkarananda Ganga Sadan (Guesthouse / Dharmashala):