"A Popular Leisure Spot in Dehradun"
Dakpathar is a toy-town nestled near the silvery bank of river Yamuna in Dehradun. It is famous for housing the Dakpathar Barrage which forms a reservoir along the tinsel town. The environs of this place are endowed with natural beauty. It has dense woodlands and sprawling gardens. Its proximity to Yamuna Hydel Scheme makes it ideal for bird watching. Varied bird species flock this place often.
Dakpathar is popular for its untouched natural beauty. It has emerged as a popular recreational place for nature lovers and solitude seekers. Earlier this place was a lesser known attraction. But now it has been developed as a tourist attraction by the Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam.
Things to do:
- Some people also spell it as Dakpatthar or Dakpather. It is a popular recreational place in Doon. Over the years, it has emerged as a popular weekend destination for Doonites. They wish to spend some time in the verdure of nature.
- The quaint area around Dakpathar barrage is famous among those seeking:
- And tranquillity in the lap of nature.
- If you visit here then don’t forget to see the Hydel Power Station. It stands near Yamuna river. Its mammoth size and dimension will leave you awe-struck.
- Admire the beauty of Shivalik range. Capture stunning pictures of nature’s bounty. One can visit the Dakpathar Park. It is a home to several animals such as
- And parakeets.
- The park also has a kid’s play with swings. Here you can also let your children free. Canteen facility and parking facility are also available here.
Places to visit near Dakpathar:
The travellers can time travel to early India, by visiting the ancient Rock Edict of King Ashoka at Kalsi. It is about 7 km from this place. The adventure seekers can throng the Asan Barrage Water Sports Resort Complex. It is approximately 11 km from this place. It also offers an array of water sports activities. For bird watching, you can visit the Asan Barrage Bird Sanctuary, an abode for several migratory birds.
For the spiritual quest, head towards Paonta Sahib Gurudwara located about 25 km from this place. If you have ample time then you can explore Lakha Mandal. It is about 80 km away from this place. Here you can discover several stone effigies and artifacts of historical significance. For picnicking, you can go to Vikasnagar. And for sightseeing drive all the way to Chakrata, a picturesque hill station.
One can have a pleasurable stay amidst the piercing beauty of nature. You can book your stay at Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) Tourist Rest House in Dakpathar. The TRH is well-facilitated with modern facilities and also offers sightseeing options.
Best Time to Visit Dakpathar:
One can visit Dakpathar all around the year. However, summer and monsoon months are the best to travel Dakpathar. Because nature is in full swing here during these months. Winters are chilly here so do carry warm clothes.
Location of Dakpathar:
Dakpathar nestles on the left bank of Yamuna river. It sits 790 metres above sea level on the foothills of Shivalik range. Dakpathar lies on the border of Dehradun district and Sirmaur district. Sirmur district Paonta Sahib is west towards this place. It is near the Himachal Pradesh state border.
How to Reach:
Dakpathar is a tiny village, which cocoons in the Vikashnagar block of Dehradun district. It lies on Dehradun-Chakrata road about 40 km away from the main city. It is only 5 km away from Vikasnagar. Dehradun railway station at 40 km away is the nearest railhead. Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport at 63 km away is the closest air connectivity from here.