Daksha Mahadev Temple
Daksha Mahadev temple or Daksheswara Mahadev is home to lord Shiva. It is in the town of Kankhal, 4 kms away from Haridwar. The temple gets its name after King Daksha Prajapati, the father of goddess Sati. Queen Dhankaur build the present temple in 1810. Later, it was rebuilt in 1962.
Facts About Daksha Mahadev Temple:
- The temple holds a great importance among Hindu devotees. The holy idol of Lord Shiva, is present at the center of Shri Daksheshwar Temple in phallic form.
- On the day of Maha Shivratri, the marriage day of Shiva and Shakti, devotees perform special rituals.
- Devotees from all over the world visit the temple on Maha Shivratri.
- Daksha Ghat and Nileshwar Mahadev Temple are other two attractions near this temple.
- Thousands of devotees visit the temple in August, known as the holy month of Sawan in the Hindu calendar.
As per the Hindu Mythology, it is the place where Daksha Prajapati performed the Yagna. Sati was the daughter of Daksha Prajapati and she wanted to marry lord Shiva.
But Daksha Prajapati was against it as Daksha Prajapati was a king and lord Shiva was a Yogi. After Sati married God Shiva against Daksha’s wish, he thought of insulting his Son-in-law Shiva by conducting Yagna. Daksha invited all Devtas but he did not invite Lord Siva and his Ganas.
Later on, Sati came to know about this incident and asked her father to apologize to Shiva. But Daksha insulted Sati before all the guests. After all these things, Sati self-immolated herself in the Yoga Agni.
As Lord Shiva came to know about this, he ordered Veerabhadra to destroy the Yagna and Kill Daksha Prajapati. Veerabhadra along with Kali and Shiva Ganas destroyed the Yagna and beheaded king Daksha.
Special Attraction of Daksha Mahadev Temple:
Adjacent to the Yajnashala of the temple, you will see an old tree. This is not a single tree. Actually, these are three different trees, whose roots are combined in a unique way that they look like a large single tree.
How to Reach:
The temple is only 4 kms away from Haridwar bus station. There are many trasportation options available. Haridwar is well connected to all the major cities of north India. You can use below map to track the location.
Haridwar railway station is the nearest railhead to the temple. You can hire a cab or use public trasport to reach the temple.
Distance From Various Cities:
- Rishikesh- 35 kms
- Delhi- 210 kms
- Dehradun- 55 kms
- Jolly Grant Airport
- Dehradun- 30 kms
- Mussoorie- 90 kms