Vasuki Tal is an enchanting high altitude lake near Kedarnath valley. It sits an altitude of 4135 meters in the mighty Garhwal Himalayan hills of Uttarakhand. It is also famous for wonderful trekking experiences among trekkers.
The lake is located at a distance of 8 km from Kedarnath in Rudraprayag District of Uttarakhand state, India.
- Latitude: 30.90836356
- Longitude: 79.17344193
- Vasuki Tal is surrounded by beautiful Himalayan mountains, which provide beautiful views of Garhwal range.
- Because of its crystal clear water, it finds its place in one of the greatest sights in Kedarnath valley.
- The lake is at a great height so winters are extremely cold here. During winters the lake gets completely frozen.
- According to the Hindu mythology this is the lake where Lord Vishnu took bath in ancient times.
- This beautiful lake provides a charming view of the neighboring Chaukhamba peaks. One can witness colorful flowers around the lake, notably Brahmakamal. (Video)
Vasuki Tal Trek:
- Vasuki Tal trek is quite long to walk. Trekkers categorize it as moderate to difficult trek.
- The trek from Kedarnath to the lake is a continuous trail along a narrow path. One has to cross the Chaturangi Glacier and Vasuki Glacier to finally get to the lake.
- These glaciers are filled with ravines and crossing them demands a great amount of stamina and confidence.
- The total distance of this trek is about 8 km from Kedarnath. Trekking enthusiasts usually form a group and start the trek.
- Because of the difficulty level, we would recommend a trekking guide for this trek.
Best Time To Visit:
- From May to October, the weather is mild and pleasant in the whole valley of Kedarnath. Thus, it is the great time to visit.
- In winters, the lake freezes and crossing the glaciers become very risky. So the winters and monsoons are not the best times to visit Vasuki tal.
How To Reach Vasuki Tal:
- Gaurikund is the nearest road-head to Vasuki tal. The nearest railway station to reach Gaurikund is Rishikesh, which is at a distance of almost 212 km.
- From Rishikesh or Dehradun, one has to use public transport such as buses or taxis to reach Guptkashi.
- From Guptkashi shared taxis such Mahindra Max are available to Gaurikund. Gaurikund is 29 km away from Guptakashi.