Maldevta is a popular picnic spot snuggled in the Raipur area of Dehradun. This picturesque place exhibits ethereal natural beauty, offering a gorgeous vista of the Himalayas and the pristine Song river flowing nearby. It is enveloped with exotic flora-fauna that catch the attention of everybody.
Many people come here to bathe in the glimmering stream and to trek in the wilderness of the wooded beauty. The place sees a lot of visitors during summers, who come here to beat the heat and enjoy to soak themselves in the cool water of the riverine.
|Location||Dehradun (near Raipur)|
|Timing||10 AM to 6 PM|
|Exploration Time||2-3 Hour|
|Distance from ISBT Dehradun||18 km/45 Minutes|
Things to do
Maldevta is a safe haven for the nature lovers and adventure bugs. The virgin trails around this place lure the wanderers to trek and explore the tiny hamlets outlining the area. For spiritual bliss, pay obeisance at the Maldevta temple which is the star attraction of this place. A swift flight of stairs will lead you to the temple where you can bow your head in faith.
One can enjoy a plethora of recreational activities from swimming, camping, bird watching to photography. Many bikers throng here to dirt their bikes on the slithering terrains of this place. Here are some things you can do:
- Take a Walk: Enjoy peaceful walks in the beautiful surroundings of Maldevta. Breathe in the fresh air and listen to the sounds of nature while strolling through the greenery.
- Birdwatching: If you love birds, you’re in for a treat! Maldevta is a great place for birdwatching. Grab your binoculars and camera to spot colorful birds in their natural habitat.
- Have a Picnic: Spend a relaxing day by the riverside, have a picnic with your loved ones, and enjoy the picturesque views of the river.
- Take Photos: Capture the beauty of Maldevta with your camera. The scenic landscapes, plants, and animals provide wonderful subjects for photography.
- Go Camping: Set up a campsite surrounded by nature and spend a night under the stars. Enjoy the warmth of a bonfire, gaze at the stars, and make lasting memories.
- Try Trekking: If you enjoy hiking, explore the trails and landscapes of Maldevta. There are different trekking routes to choose from, offering varying levels of difficulty and stunning views.
- Visit the Maldevta Temple: Pay a visit to the small Maldevta Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Experience the spiritual ambiance, observe the rituals, and seek blessings.
- Practice Yoga and Meditation: Take advantage of the peaceful environment in Maldevta to engage in yoga and meditation sessions. Relax your mind and body, and find inner peace amidst nature.
- Contribute to Nature Conservation: Get involved in activities related to nature conservation. Join clean-up drives or volunteer for local conservation projects to make a positive impact on the environment.
Camping and Sightseeing
Camping at Maldevta is fun, you can pitch your tents here but since the area is occupied by dense forests, so it is frequented by wild animals at night. Therefore, it is advised to camp in groups or with the tour operators. While camping at this place, you can have a bonfire night under the sheath of stars and wake up to a view of the glaring sun.
People often come here with groups or families and prepare lunch at the riverside. The place also offers sightseeing options to some of the nearby places like Sahastradhara, Khalinga War Memorial, The Gorkha Fort of Dehradun or the Nalapani Fort, St. Francis Church, Tibetan Market and Paltan Bazaar.
Travellers can visit here between 10 am to 6 pm.
Things to Remember while visiting Maldevta
Since Maldevta is concealed in the sequestered area of Doon Valley. It is advised to leave early and return back before dark. Take packed lunch or buy food from the restaurants en-route Maldevta as there are no food-joints here. Don’t play loud music near the river area as wild animals thrive in and around the woods, which may harm their ears.
Many people come here to picnic and leave the place in a mess. Plastic bags and paper plates can be seen floating in the river bed, which eventually makes the river polluted. So take garbage bags to collect the trash and dispose of safely after reaching home.
Best Time to Visit
Maldevta can be visited all around the year as the weather always remains pleasant here. Since Maldevta is known for its riverine, it has become a famous summer spot and is mostly visited between the summer months of April-July.
It is a serene and picturesque destination known for its natural beauty and outdoor activities. As it is a relatively smaller and less developed area, there might be limited options for accommodations. However, you may consider nearby cities or towns such as Dehradun, which is about 15 kilometers away from Maldevta, for a wider range of lodging options. In Dehradun, you can find hotels, guesthouses, resorts, and homestays that cater to different budgets and preferences. It’s advisable to plan your stay in Dehradun and explore Maldevta as a day trip or during your visit to the region. Remember to check for availability and book your accommodations in advance to ensure a comfortable stay.
Alternatively, you can arrange camping through various outdoor adventure companies or tour operators that operate in the region. They can provide camping equipment, set up tents, and organize bonfires and other activities to enhance your camping experience. Camping in Maldevta allows you to immerse yourself in the natural beauty, enjoy stargazing at night, indulge in outdoor activities like hiking and birdwatching, and rejuvenate amidst the peaceful environment.
How to reach Maldevta
Maldevta is located in Shripur near Raipur, Dehradun. It is situated at a distance of 17 km from Clock Tower and about 22 km away from ISBT Dehradun. It is advised to take shared auto or cabs to Maldevta as the bus, autos and magic only travel midway and will leave you at Raipur. Dehradun railway station at 18 km away is the nearest railhead and Jolly Grant airport at 32 km is the closest air connectivity from here.