"Thousand Fold Spring"
Sahastradhara that literally suggests Thousand Fold Spring is a popular picnic spot in Dehradun of state Uttarakhand, India. Known for its pristine water springs, the place exhibits ethereal natural beauty.
Engulfed in the lush vistas of Dehradun, It is located on the banks of Baldi River is famously known for its sulphur water springs.
The springs at this place has a fall of about 10 metres at some places. This mesmerizing place features cascading springs and a natural cave that is a sight to behold.
The water at the colossal cave drips off the stalactites, containing a good amount of sulphur in it due to its limestone content. Since the water contains sulphur, it has therapeutic value and is used for medicinal purposes.
Timings for Visiting Sahastradhara:
The major rush at this place can be seen between 8 am to 7 pm every day.
Best Time to Visit:
The ideal time to visit Sahastradhara is between the summer months of April- July as one can bathe in the cool waters and get a relief from the scorching heat.
While the Monsoon months of July-September are great for relishing the natural beauty. During Monsoon, the water comes gushing down the cliffs and the area becomes naturally abundant.
Things to do:
- While visiting Sahastradhara, don’t forget to enjoy a marvellous view from the mountaintop.
- You can explore the multitude of caves that surrounds the spring.
- Take a dip in the man-made pools of this place or in the Baldi River.
- You can pay obeisance at the Shiva temple nestled in a nearby cave. Admire the step farming practiced around the area and capture beautiful shots of the resplendent beauty.
- If you want to enjoy water rides then visit Joy Land, a water-based amusement park which has been set up with a multitude of rides to have with.
- After tiring yourself, binge on finger licking food served at the restaurants.
- Some of the nearby attractions that can be easily visited from this place are:
- There is also a ropeway at Sahastradhara from where one can enjoy a bird’s eye view of the surrounding area.
Things to Remember while visiting Sahastradhara:
- Reaching the pools or springs involves a short hike up to the jagged terrains, so wear comfy shoes.
- Carry a pair of extra clothes and towels to enjoy splashing in the pools of Sahastradhara or at the water-based amusement park.
- Be careful while traversing inside the cave as the water makes it slippery to walk.
How to reach:
Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Sahastradhara is located about 14 km away from Dehradun.
One can easily reach here by taking the local transport. One can easily reach here by catching the bus to Sahastradhara available from Parade Ground.
Alternatively, Vikram no. 1 will also drop you to Sahastradhara. Dehradun railway station located about 14 km. Jolly Grant airport about 36 km is the nearest air connectivity.