"The Oldest Ground in Dehradun"
Parade Ground, snuggled in the heart of Dehradun, is one of the oldest grounds in the city. It is a popular landmark of Dehradun and can be visited from anywhere.
This spacious round is famous for hosting Republic Day and Independence Day Parade which is followed by cultural programs.
Many big and small functions are held at Parade ground from time to time. It is famous for throwing Trade Fairs, showcasing the rich culture of different states of India. One can buy several handicraft items from here ranging from ethnic silk sarees to jute bags.
Parade Ground overview:
Parade Ground "Known for hosting Gala Events":
- Parade Ground covers a major area of the city centre and can be easily accessed from anywhere
- It is one of the best places to organize gala events like Circus, trade fairs, book fairs, cultural fests and even health camps.
- Since this place can be easily reached by local transport, therefore it is the ideal place to host all the major events.
- It is encircled by city’s most important areas sich as
Things to do:
- Parade Ground is a major stop-over for people visiting the bustling market areas of Dehradun.
- One can enjoy the Circus that is held here during summers which usually lasts between 25-30 days.
- Asiad Circus and Gemini Circus have entertained Doonites since many years. If you are an admirer of art and culture then you must visit the Trade Fairs that are organized here with great fervour.
- You can buy indigenous items like handicrafts, spices, pickles and attires of different states from here.
- You’ll get everything here from Banarsi Silk sarees, Lucknowi suits to Pashmina shawls.
- During Vijayadashami or Dusshera a grand fair is held here in which the idols of Meghnath, Kumbhkarna and Ravana are burned to celebrate the victory over evil.
- Independence Day and Republic day parades are also held at Parade Ground which is attended by the honourable personalities of Uttarakhand.
- You can become a part of it and can see the tricolour flag being hoisted with great pride.
Parade Ground- A highly celebrated Sports Centre for Doonites:
- Apart from organizing events, Parade Ground is also famous for being a sports center.
- An array of sports activities ranging from badminton, soccer, cricket, taekwondo, kickboxing, basketball, hockey to table tennis are taught and practiced under the guidance of the professionals.
- Separate courts have been made for each sport and one can easily enroll their name here by paying a nominal fee.
- There are running trek fields at Parade Ground where many sports enthusiasts and defense aspirants come to practice.
- Many fitness freaks and elderly people also throng here to walk, jog and meditate in the open.
Eateries and Accommodation:
- Since Parade Ground is located in the city centre there are several hotels and restaurants in the proximity of it.
- If you want to have good food on a tight budget then you can go to Madrasi Dosa Hut that serves mouth-watering South Indian food, dosa being their speciality.
- Some of the other restaurants near this place are
- Punjab Restaurant
- Kumar Vegetarian
- 3 C’s cafe etc.
- If you are an outsider then there are several budgets and posh hotels around Parade where you can have a pleasant stay.
How to reach:
- Parade Ground near Clock Tower is located in the urban centre and can be easily reached from any part of the city.
- Local buses and autos to this place are easily available from ISBT Dehradun. You can take the Vikram no. 5 to reach here from Dehradun ISBT.
- Dehradun railway station at 2 km away is the nearest railhead.
- Jolly Grant airport at 28 km away is the closest air connectivity to here.