Gita Bhawan or Geeta Bhawan is a large complex nestled on the banks of river Ganga. It offers free lodging to devotees, who come to Rishikesh in search of spiritual bliss. It is amidst the ethereal beauty of the Himalayan mountains at Swargashram in Rishikesh.
The Gita Bhawan complex which consists of spacious halls and rooms is a part of the Gita Press. It is a popular publication house for Hindu religious books. There are more than 1,000 well-maintained rooms that are available free of charge. Many devotees from all over the globe take refuge in Geeta Bhawan for having a pleasurable stay.
Activities at Gita Bhawan or Geeta Bhawan:
- The ashram of Geeta Bhawan has a spiritually uplifting aura. One can engage in meditation,
- Additionally, attend the discourses that the ashram hosts on a regular basis.
- You can take a dip in the holy water of river Ganga. During the summer months from April end to early July, ashram organizes a day-long special Satsang programs.
- Therefore, devotees from different places flock here in huge numbers to attend the discourse.
Opening and Closing Time: 07:00 am – 09:00 pm (Daily)
Entrance Fee: Free
Location: Gangapar P.O., Swargashram, Rishikesh, Uttrakhand
Food and Services:
- The complex of Gita Bhawan serves simple and nutritious vegetarian food at moderate prices to its guests.
- Kitchen and grocery items, Indian sweets are also available here at reasonable prices.
- For the convenience of the guests, the complex also offers:
- free ferry boat service
- access to Gita Press bookshop
- cloth shop
- Ayurvedic departmen
- and Laxmi-Narayan Temple.
Things to see at Geeta Bhawan:
- The Geeta Bhawan houses an Ayurvedic department. Here they prepare medicines from Himalayan herbs using the holy water of Ganga.
- The Ayurvedic medicines are given for free by the dispensary. They are available for sale also.
- One of the famous attractions of this place is the centuries-old Banyan Tree. It has been a site for penance of various renowned saints including Swami Ramtirth.
- The area around the tree and the woods surrounding the banks of river Ganga offer many quaint spots to engage in prayer and meditation.
- The two bathing ghats in front of Gita Bhawan 1 and 3 allow the devotees to take a holy dip in the Ganges river.
Book store at Gita Bhawan:
- The famous Gita Press serves as a museum for preserving the Hindu religious literature like
- Srimad Bhagvat and other holy Upanishads.
- The press is popular for printing books in several regional languages in India like English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Tamil, Gujarati, Bangla, Marathi, Oriya, Kannada, Telugu etc.