“Famous Footbridge in Rishikesh”
Lakshman Jhula is a famous iron suspension bridge across river Ganga. It connects the two villages namely Tapovan in Tehri Garhwal district on the west bank of the river to Jonk in Pauri Garhwal district in the east bank.
This gigantic bridge is one of the most popular places in Rishikesh. It is 5 km north-east of Rishikesh, Uttarakhand. In spite of its location, the Lakshman bridge is well-known as an iconic landmark of Rishikesh. This is a pedestrian footbridge byut motorbikes also use it to cross the river.
Mythology related to Lakshman Jhula, Rishikesh:
- According to the Hindu legends, Lakshman the younger brother of Lord Rama crossed the river Ganga on a jute rope.
- Later, a jute rope bridge was built here to commemorate this event.
- One of the famous tourist attractions of Rishikesh, Lakshman Bridge is on the way to Triyambakeshwar Temple.
- It is only 12 km away from Inter State Bus Terminus, Adarsh Gram in Rishikesh. One can reach here within 39 minutes.
History of Lakshman Jhula:
- Until 1889, Lakshman Jhula was a hanging jute rope bridge which was later engulfed by the floods of October 1924.
- After which, they built a new bridge in the year 1930.
- Now the 450 feet long current bridge is a famous landmark in Rishikesh.
Things to do in and around Lakshman Jhula:
- Lakshman Jhula is a famous tourist attraction in Rishikesh. It is a man-made bridge built over Ganga river.
- One can stroll around the market area near the Laksham Bridge. From here one can buy:
- Chunky jewellery
- precious and semi-precious stones
- And other cool stuff at affordable prices.
- Shutterbugs will love this place as it offers a panoramic view of river Ganga and the lively city.
- Savour the gorgeous vista and feel the gentle breeze blowing your worries.
- There are many temples and ashrams located near Lakshman Jhula. Explore some of the popular places like
Best Time to Visit:
Since the weather remains pleasant at Rishikesh, one can visit Lakshman Bridge anytime.
Food at Rishikesh:
- There are many local dhabas and restaurants that server finger-licking Indian, Continental and Chinese food.
- If you want to have shudh desi Indian food then head to Chotiwala restaurant nearby, which serves the best thali in Rishikesh. Have a Bon Appétit peeps!
Accommodation near Lakshman Jhula:
- There are several budget, deluxe and luxury accommodation options near Lakshman Bridge.
- If you are on a tight budget then you can stay at the ashrams without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Since the hotels remain booked during the peak months, make sure you have made the reservations beforehand.
Timings: 05.00 AM to 10.00 PM (open on all days)
Entry Fee: Free
Famous F or:
RishikeshIdeal time to visit:
Throughout the year
How to Reach Lakshman Jhula in Rishikesh:
- Lakshman Jhula is located in the heart of Rishikesh city. Since Rishikesh is one of the popular tourist places in Uttarakhand. It is well connected by motorable roads.
- Luxury, as well as normal buses to Rishikesh, run from ISBT Kashmiri Gate, Delhi.
- One can easily reach the Lakshman Bridge by taking a shared auto or Vikram, which will drop you at the Rishikesh taxi stand.
- Rishikesh railway station at 4 km is the nearest railhead.
- Jolly Grant airport at 22 km is the closest air connectivity from here.