“A Rafters Delight”
Shivpuri hailed as a hub for water sports is one of the most famous river rafting destinations near Rishikesh. It is a small town located in the lap of the Himalayas about 16 km away from Rishikesh. Shivpuri which literally suggests “The House of Lord Shiva” houses many ashrams and temples that are dedicated to the deity.
However, the place is famous for camping and river rafting. Many water sports enthusiasts throng here to hone their skills for tearing the raging Ganga river with their raft. During summers many vacationers, weekenders and adventure sports lovers come here to enjoy water activities.
The Rafting stretch of Shivpuri:
- Shivpuri is the standard and most ideal river rafting stretch in Rishikesh.
- The rafting from here till Laxman Jhula is a 16 km rafting stretch.
- It covers some of the most exciting Grade III, IV rapids in approximately 3 hours.
- This thrill some journey covers exciting rapids such as,
- Return to Sender
- Roller Coaster
- Golf Course
- Club House etc.
- Water activities like Body surfing and Cliff jumping can also be performed here. Excellent safety standards and expert guides are available at the service of the visitors.
Best Time to visit Shivpuri:
Shivpuri is an ideal destination for white river rafting in Rishikesh. The best time to visit here is from March-May and October-November as it is perfect for conducting water sports activities. The weather remains pleasant during this time as it is neither too cold nor too hot.
The temperature may vary from 25° C to 40° C during the summer season. However, the frequent rainfall brings the temperature to 34° C. In winters the temperature varies between 18° C and 25° C.
Things to do:
- The placid environs of Shivpuri offer a multitude of opportunities to the tourists.
- One can enjoy
- rock climbing
- cliff jumping
- raft on the jade blue river
- or camp under the night sky.
- Sunrise and sunsets are amazing here as one can soak their beauty.
- Many like to meditate and practice Yoga in the peaceful aura of this place.
Camping at Shivpuri:
- In the recent years, Shivpuri has become a famous tourist destination to visit en-route Rishikesh.
- The place is famous for its numerous beach camps that are nested along the Ganga river.
- The glittering rivers twinkle in the pitch black night and make a perfect place to have a bonfire night.
- One can play games, sing, dance and slurp some tasty cuisines served by the hosts of the camps. (video)
How to Reach:
- Shivpuri near Rishikesh is located about 256 km from Delhi.
- It takes about 6 to 7 hours to reach here.
- Rishikesh about 16 km away is the nearest railway station from Shivpuri. Jolly Grant airport at 35 km away is the nearest air connectivity.
- Taxis to Shivpuri are easily available from Jolly Grant airport, Dehradun.