Sonprayag is a tiny hamlet sitting at an altitude of 1,829 metres above sea level in district Rudraprayag of state Uttarakhand. It is at the convergence of two majestic rivers namely Mandakini and Vasuki river. It is located en-route Kedarnath Dham and is considered as a place of high religious importance.
The celestial town of Sonprayag has the lofty Himalayan peaks around it, offering spiritual and mental bliss. Prayag means confluence and in Hindu religion.
In Hinduism, bathing at the Prayags is considered to be holy. Therefore, many people visit this place to bathe in its holy waters which washes away all the sins.
Places to Visit:
- One can pay obeisance at the Triyuginarayan Temple, home to Lord Vishnu. The temple is at a distance of 8 km from Sonprayag.
- Kalimath Temple, on the banks of Saraswati River in Rudraprayag district, is another religious attraction that one can easily visit from Sonprayag .
- Gandhi Sarovar, a pristine lake having crystal clear water is also nearby.
- Hindu pilgrimage site Gauri Kund is only 5 km from here. It serves as the base camp for trek to Kedarnath Temple in Uttarakhand, India. Gaurikund sits at a height of 6502 feet above the sea level in the Garhwal Himalayan range.
- The high altutude lake Vasuki tal is also nearby. The lake is popular for wonderful trekking experience. Here, you can find the state flower of Uttarakhand “Bhrahma Kamal”.
- This sacred flower has unique characteristics. It starts blossoming after sunset and remains this way the whole night. It takes about two hours for it to fully blossom.
How to Reach Sonprayag:
- The town of Sonprayag is in the midst of Rudraprayag and Gaurikund, en-route Kedarnath Dham.
- It lies at a favourable distance of 18 km from Kedarnath and about 70 km from Rudraprayag.
- It is only 4 km away from Gaurikund. One can easily reach here by taking a shared jeep or bus from Rudraprayag.
- The nearest railway station to this town is at Dehradun (251 km) and Rishikesh railway station at 212 km.
- Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport at 226 km is the closest air connectivity to this town.