Christ Church, set in the luscious surroundings of Mussoorie, is a historic and religious site located near the busy Mall road. The church is a work of art left by the British Raj. It stands tall bearing the history of past centuries. Vibrantly colored glass paintings adorn the walls of the church, depicting the life story of Jesus Christ. It is the oldest existing church in the Himalayan region.
The church is well maintained and is believed to be 200 years old. It houses a 150-year-old piano which is still functional. One can have a look at the Altar Bible present in the church, published during the late 1800s.
Christ Church Mussoorie Overview
|Famous for:||Religion, History, Photography|
|Opening Time:||07:00 AM – 06:30 PM, Monday – Saturday 08:00 AM – 06:30 PM, Sunday|
|Best Time to Visit:||Morning, Afternoon, Evening|
|Entry Fee:||No Entry Fee|
|Facilities:||Food Stalls, Washrooms|
|Recommended Hours:||Min 2 hours|
|Best Visited with:||Group, Solo, Couple, Family|
|Allowed:||Footwear, Camera, Video|
|Location:||On Mall road near Kurli, opposite the famous Lovely Omelette shop|
- Built in 1836, Mussoorie Christ Church is believed to be the oldest existing church in the Himalayan region.
- It is on a little hillock, slightly above the Kasmanda Palace. One can easily reach here on foot.
- The British residents built the intriguing structure of this church from the private donations.
- The government declared the Christ church a part of the Church of North India on 29th November 1970.
- The Christ Church having a marvelous architecture stands gracefully in the midst of the busy street.
- One can steal heart-warming vista of the sun-kissed hills from here.
- This colonial church represents the Gothic style of architecture which evolved from Romanesque architecture.
- The prominent features being the pointed arches, ribbed vaults and flying buttresses ideal to the gothic style.
Things to see inside the Christ Church:
If you are an art and architecture aficionado, the rustic charm of this old church will transport to the vintage era. The subtle pre-Raphaelite glass windows and the tinted-design inscribed on them represents the life events of Jesus Christ.
The high altar of the church showcases the caricatures, narrating the life of Jesus Christ beginning from his birth to crucifixion. The two most interesting aspects of the church are the old bible and a century-old William Hill organ, a musical instrument. The instrument doesn’t work now but it brings alive the old culture of the church.
Things to do and Places to visit near Christ Church:
- Christ Church is positioned on the busy street of the Mall, which makes it one of the most famous places to visit in Mussoorie.
- Many visitors come here to participate in the prayer session held by the church.
- The entire aura of the church reverberates with salient features of European architecture, offering a spiritual environment.
- One can also see an old deodar tree standing in the courtyard of the church.
- It was planted by the Princess of Wales in 1906, who later became the Queen Mary of England.
- The old deodar tree still bears the testimony of the authentic church. Many popular tourist attractions such as:
Best Time to Visit Mussoorie Christ Church:
- Christ Church in Mussoorie can be best visited during the summer months of April to September.
- To attend the mass, you must visit the church on Sundays. However, if you are planning your trip in winters then Christmas is the best time to throng here.
- One can behold the magical views of the snow-laden peaks, during this time of the year.
Things to Remember before visiting Christ Church:
- Wear appropriate clothes to the church, if you wish to attend the Sunday mass.
- Do not enter the restricted areas of the church without seeking permission from the church authorities.
- Maintain a decorum while sitting on the pews. Buy candles from the tiny shops located outside the premises of the church to take part in the ritual.
How to reach Mussoorie Christ Church:
Christ Church is located on the bustling Mall road about 400 km from Library Chowk, Mussoorie. The church is situated at a 10-minute walk from the Mall Road in Mussoorie. One can also hire a local rickshaw or book a cab to reach here.
Regular, Deluxe and Volvo buses ply from ISBT Kashmiri Gate, New Delhi to Dehradun and Mussoorie. Travel till Library Bus Stand and further 0.6 meters on foot to reach the Christ Church. Alternatively, you can also hire a taxi from ISBT Dehradun to reach the Mussoorie Christ Church.
Dehradun railway station about 35 km away from Christ Church is the nearest railhead to Mussoorie. It is well connected to major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, Kolkata, Varanasi etc. Private taxis to Mussoorie are easily available from the railway station. It will drop you at the Library Bus Stand in Mussoorie, from where you have to cover the further 0.6 km to the church on foot.
Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun at 61 km is the closest air connectivity from here. Taxis to Mussoorie and nearby places are easily available from Jolly Grant airport.