Robber’s Cave also nicknamed as Guchhupani, is a natural cave in Dehradun. It is formed by the geological impacts on the Dehra plateau. It is a 600 meters long natural cave cocooned near Sahastradhara. The Robber’s Cave or Guchu pani is divided into two main parts. A placid river also runs through its cave-like formation. The center of the cave has a fort like structure which is now in ruins. And the fall is about 10 meters high.
The British kept this unique name of Robbers as the robbers used to take refuge in the cave after looting people. Additionally, it is a popular summer destination in Dehradun. Uttarakhand state government maintains this place. This colossal cave is famous for its strange natural occurrence; a steam of water suddenly appears and then disappears underground only to appear again a few yards away.
Robber’s Cave or GuchhuPani Overview
|Famous For||Picnic, Photography|
|Entry Fee||Free Entry|
|Visit Duration||2-3 Hours|
|Timing||7 AM – 6 PM|
|Facilities||Food Stalls, Washrooms, Lockers|
|Activity For||Group, Family, Solo, Couple|
Things to do in Robber’s Cave (GuchhuPani)
- This surreal place is ideal for picnicking. It is has rapidly become a popular tourist attraction in Dehradun.
- For instance, enjoy crossing the cool waters. This will give you a relief from the scorching summer heat.
- Many shutterbugs, who visit here, capture beautiful pictures of this mystical cave. The locals believe that the water of the cave also possesses medicinal properties.
- So you can collect the water in a bottle and take it with you. Some of the nearby attractions to visit from Robber’s Cave are:
Opening and Closing Time of Robber’s Cave (GuchhuPani)
Robber’s Cave remains open for the tourists from 7 AM to 6 PM on all days of the week.
|Days||Opening Time||Closing Time|
|Sunday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Monday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Tuesday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Wednesday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Thursday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Friday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Saturday||7:00 AM||6:00 PM|
Travel Tips for GuchhuPani (Robber’s Cave)
- Since the river curls inside the cave, the visitors often get drenched. Therefore, we advise you to carry a pair of extra clothing and a towel.
- If you are going for a picnic then carry some snacks, drinking water and a plastic bag to collect the waste.
- In order to explore the surrounding areas, you can hire a cab.
Best Time to Visit Robber’s Cave (GuchhuPani)
The best time to visit Robber’s Cave is during the monsoon season. Because the water comes gushing through the narrow creeks and gorges.
However, if you want to beat the heat of summer season then do visit Guchhupani place between the months of April-July.
How to reach Robber’s Cave (GuchhuPani)
- Robber’s Cave is located about 8 km from Dehradun bus stand. It is near Mussoorie road and Dehradun Zoo.
- Local bus service is also available up to Anarwala Village. After that, it is only a km away by trek.
- Dehradun railway station at 8 km away. It is the nearest rail-head to Robber’s Cave.
- Jolly Grant airport at 33 km is the nearest air connectivity.
Restaurants Nearby Robber’s Cave (GuchhuPani)
There are following restaurants nearby Robber’s Cave:
- Domino’s Pizza
- Punjab Grill
- The Sal Woods
- Four Points
- Barbeque Nation
- Best Buddy’s Cafe