Mall road braced by the “Queen of Hills” is one of the liveliest places to stroll in Mussoorie. It is doorway to the “Hill Queen”. The Mall sees the best crowd in Mussoorie, mainly comprising of the newly-weds and young couples who come here for vacation. Its proximity to Dehradun makes it one of the most popular places to visit among the Doonites. Many bikers, honeymooners, and college-goers come here to feel the magic of the Himalayan winds.
Mall road is said to be “The Gateway to Mussoorie”. One has to cross this place to explore other famous tourist attractions in the Queen of Hills. Over the years, Mall road has become heavily populated as many street businesses are flourishing here. Now several restaurants, shops, apparel stores, hotels, and establishments can be seen thriving in this place.
Mall road Mussoorie Overview
|Visited from||Library Bus Stand|
|Distance from Library Bus Stand||1.3 km|
|Trip Duration||1 Hour|
|Famous For||Shopping, Restaurants, Viewpoints, Evening Walks, Street Markets|
|Best Time to Visit||All around the year|
Shopping at Mall road Mussoorie
- Mall road also famous as “The Mall” is one of the busiest shopping hubs in Mussoorie.
- It has the best street market where you can bag some great deals on clothes, gift items, and accessories.
- Rove your eyes on the tiny shops that sell handmade woolens which will keep you warm in the biting cold.
- This famous shopping alley projects a wide range of products. Ranging from
- Colourful fabrics
- Electronic goods
- Bronze figurines
- Ceramic vases
- Ornately carved wooden items to Tibetan prayer wheels.
- Finest quality Jamawar shawls can also be purchased from here. This heart throbbing artery of Mussoorie also houses the Tibetan market from where you can buy some cool stuff.
- Take back souvenirs for your loved ones and don’t forget to bargain as you may strike a good deal. Shopping in Mall is undoubtedly one of the top things to do in Mussoorie which you will definitely cherish.
Food at Mall road Mussoorie
There are several food chains dotted around The Mall to welcome you for a quick treat. Most of the eateries at Mall serve breakfast, lunch and dinner options. The best restaurants to reach out for are:
- Chic Chocolate, the Kalsang
- The Rice Bowl, Tavern
- Café by the Way
- Udipi restaurant
- Green Restaurant
- And Café Ivy.
If you are low on budget, then you should try the street food which is lip-smackingly delicious. Momos, thukpa, noodles, soups and different kinds of rolls are served here at minimal prices.
Accommodation at Mall road Mussoorie
The place exhibits some of the best hotels in Mussoorie. One can find numerous budget, deluxe and luxury hotels aligned across the Mall road. Few of which are Hotel Silver Rock, Honeymoon Inn, Tulip Inn Green Castle, Hotel Mall Palace, Howard International, Whispering Windows and many more.
A gentle reminder: Don’t forget to carry your id’s along!
Interesting Fact on Mussoorie Mall Road
- During the British Raj, the Mall road projected racist signs calling, “Indians and Dogs Not Allowed”.
- Such racism was common in the hill stations that were founded ‘by and for’ the British Raj.
- Motilal Nehru, the father of Jawaharlal Nehru ‘First Prime Minister of India’ deliberately broke this rule whenever he visited Mussoorie and would pay the fine.
- The Nehru family thronged here often during the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s and stayed at the famous Savoy Hotel in Mussoorie.
Things to do in Mall road Mussoorie
- Mall road is the doorway to the Queen of Hills, Mussoorie. It is the point from where the fun begins. Many adventure seekers throng here either to halt before backpacking to the Nag Tibba trek in Mussoorie or to immerse in momentary bliss.
- The Mall is also the starting point for the cable car journey that goes uphill to the summit of Gun Hill at 400 feet. You can enjoy the trolley ride which will offer resplendent views of the mountain ranges of Garhwal.
- On a clear day, you can savour views of the mighty Kedarnath, Badrinath and Nanda Devi peaks. The Mall has two ends, locally known as the Library and the Picture Palace. This place always bustles with tourist activity.
- It houses colourful souvenir shops, local apparel stores, video games parlour and small cafes and restaurants serving an array of multi-cuisine dishes. A short hike from Mall road will take you to the telescope point at Gun Hill from where you can admire the Aravalli Ranges.
What makes Mall road Mussoorie special?
The Mall was built by the British Raj for the convenience of their people. The warm serenity and comeliness of The Mall makes it special and inviting. One can feel the essence of British era which still exudes in the air of Mall road. The rustic lampposts and benches can be seen dotted on the side of the road.
The remnants of English architecture can be seen in the form of old taverns, colonial-style houses, and churches that mark the history of this place. The prime attractions of this area includes the 1980s style video game parlours, skating rings, and the old Methodist Church.
Places to see in and around Mall Road
- The Mall in Mussoorie is one of the famous tourist places in the Mussoorie travel circle. It is known for its viewpoints that render stellar views of the glittering Doon Valley.
- One end of the Mall road will take you to the Gandhi Chowk, which serves as the center point and taxi stand for the Kempty Falls.
- While the other end showcases the Kulri Bazaar, where tourists can indulge in a shopping spree.
- The Mall road stretches from Picture Palace at east to the Library at west. Vehicles are prohibited at the Picture Palace.
- Cross the vehicle barrier and take steady steps towards the semi-circular road, which will guide you to Jhoola Ghar or the ropeway point at Gun Hill.
- Some of the places to visit from Mall road are:
Visit one of oldest book depots at Mussoorie
The book lovers can have a look at the Cambridge Book Depot, one of the oldest bookstores in Mussoorie. It is a reader’s paradise which safekeeps a number of books, comprising an array of Ruskin Bond’s novella collection.
The writer visits this shop every Saturday from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm and generously signs his books for the buyers. The queue starts to form an hour before, so make your presence on time. Apart from this, you can also find a staggering number of books issued by Raj Times on the history and wildlife found in this region.
How to reach Mall Road Mussoorie
Mall road is the main market and shopping area in Mussoorie. It is located about 1.3 km away from the Library Bus Stand. The Mall is a major road of Mussoorie and is positioned in the city center. One can easily reach here on foot or by taking the rickshaw that run errands in the hill station.
The Mall is approximately 15 km away from Kempty Falls, a major tourist attraction. Dehradun railway station at 35 km away is the nearest railhead to Mall road. Jolly Grant airport at 60 km away is the closest air connectivity from here. Taxis ply to Mall road from Dehradun airport.